I wouldn’t ever suggest editing and trying to finish up rewrites on a book that’s over 500 pages in a week. It’s not impossible, but it’s certainly trying. I’ll admit, that as much as I wanted to be able to do it again, I am not done. It’s been far more work than I’d initially imagined. And that’s saying something because I’ve already gone through this process once when I did my test print with the first draft. Then again, I guess there’s a fair amount of difference between the first draft and the final draft.
Just reading through, line by line, and checking for grammar is trying. You can only read so much on a computer screen before your eyes hate you. Or, you just start skimming without realizing it. I will say, however, that I now know what it feels like to actually use the internet for good. In other words, most of my internet searching this past week has been in trying to figure out the correct usage of a few words. Lay vs lie, and who’s vs whose, still remain some of the trickiest things in the world. Not only that, but I’ve had to fill an entire notebook page with notes to myself… words I’ve made up and their correct spellings, what I’ve created that needs to be capitalized throughout the story to retain continuity. Just a lot of little things that you’re not forced to think about so much when you’re in the throes of writing just to write. Don’t get me wrong, I actually quite like the editing process. However, I like the formatting more. That’s the easy part. I really don’t mind at all going through the document and making sure all the spacing of chapter titles and page numbers for the table of contents are correct.
My biggest trouble so far has been trying to edit out some things because of repetition. The thing I’ve faced with rewriting most of the first half of this book is that there are lines that I really liked in the first draft that I wanted to keep. Yet, in rewriting I didn’t necessarily pay attention to exactly where they were being placed. So, not only have I reintroduced some of those lines and paragraphs, I have some of them repeated, and not only twice, but sometimes three or four times. So, trying to edit that out… as well as finalize a few of my trouble chapters that I didn’t like in the rewrite. I have two left right now that are driving me up the wall.
Not going to lie, I’d like to, quite literally, throw them out the window… which, I could, because my window is right next to me. However, then I’d have to extract my butt from this chair and go outside to retrieve them, or else I’d be littering. I have a feeling that it’d be extremely therapeutic, though.
Though I definitely don’t feel as if I’ve accomplished much today (in other words, nothing has gotten copied over to the printable document yet), I do think I’ve finally figured out these accursed chapters. Hopefully, once I get these two sorted out, I can start getting a lot more done again.
On a positive note, the weather is cool and fall-like today, with overcast gray skies. It may seem gloomy to some, but to me this is the perfect day to light a pumpkin scented candle, drink a tea or three, and mull over writing.
So, I raise my tea to you, reader, and return to my work.
In my next post, I’ll relay some news about the Renaissance Festival.